Friday 12 June 2009

Earth

Earth are an experimental drone/doom band from Seattle, Washington. I’d never even heard of them till a couple of months ago when my brother said I should give Earth 2 a listen... All I can say is that it’s like doing acid without any of the messy business of actually taking drugs. This isn’t music for playing at dinner parties or a friend’s wedding, think headphones, darkness, strangeness and otherworldly experiences. Highly recommended.

Earth have been around since 1990 and are led by guitarist Dylan Carlson. They are pioneers of Drone Doom (I know, I’d never heard of it before) – which, apparently, is an experimental offshoot of doom metal, characterized by droning, minimalistic, lengthy, and repetitive structures. Earth 2 appears to be the most challenging album as their style does appear to vary from album to album with some of the tracks from the latest CD sounding almost like Pink Floyd in places.

Official Website / Official Myspace Page

STUDIO DISCOGRAPHY
* Extra-Capsular Extraction EP (1991)

* Earth 2: Special Low-Frequency Version LP (1993)

* Phase 3: Thrones And Dominions LP (1995)

* Pentastar: In The Style Of Demons LP (1996)

* Legacy Of Dissolution (Remix Album) LP (2005)

* Hex; Or Printing In The Infernal Method LP (2005)

* Hibernaculum LP (2007)

* The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull LP (2008)


Here’s a collection of some Earth tunes (256kbps) PART 1 / PART 2
A Bureaucratic Desire For Revenge Part 2 (Extra-Capsular Extraction)
Seven Angels (Earth 2)
Tibetan Quaaludes (Phase 3: Thrones And Dominions)
Song 4 (Phase 3: Thrones And Dominions)
Thrones And Dominions (Phase 3: Thrones And Dominions)
High Command (Pentastar: In The Style Of Demons)
Charioteer (Temple Song) (Pentastar: In The Style Of Demons)
Coda Maestoso In F(flat) Minor (Pentastar: In The Style Of Demons)
Mirage (Hex; Or Printing In The Infernal Method)
Inquest Concerning Teeth (Hex; Or Printing In The Infernal Method)
Harvey (by Justin Broadrick) (Legacy Of Dissolution [Remix Album])
Ouroboros Is Broken (Hibernaculum)
Omens And Portents I: Driver (Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull)
Miami Morning Coming DownII (Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull)

DOWNLOAD EARTH SAMPLER PART 1 / PART 2

3 comments:

  1. I was off my *its on earth just sitting in the office, so i can highly recommend the experience! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always up for challenging my musical frontiers, so I'm grabbing the first part to check it out. All being well, I'll be back for the second part soon :)

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of their albums are definitely easier to listen to than others but to be honest I think Earth 2 is a classic. Its not going to be something I listen to all the time... just when the time is right :)

    ReplyDelete